The Brandied Sugar Cookies gets a glamorous holiday makeover with a splash of brandy and drizzles of sparkling glaze. With a yield of approximately four dozen, this recipe ensures that there will be plenty of extras to share.
Brandied Sugar Cookies with Sparkling Glaze
Makes approximately 48
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 large eggs
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Royal Icing Glaze (recipe follows)
- White sparkling sugar sprinkles
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and brandy with a mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined.
- Shape dough into 2 large discs, and wrap in heavy-duty plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 disc to ¼-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut dough; place on prepared pans, rerolling scraps as necessary. Repeat with remaining disc.
- Bake until edges of cookies are very lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Drizzle Royal Icing Glaze over cookies, and immediately sprinkle with sparkling sugar; let stand until icing is firm. Store cookies in airtight containers for up to 5 days.
Royal Icing Glaze
Makes approximately 4 cups
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, beat meringue powder and 6 tablespoons water with a mixer at medium speed until foamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Thin with additional water, 1 teaspoon at a time, if needed, to reach desired consistency.
Find more delectable recipes for holiday entertaining in our November/December 2018 issue, available on newsstands and at Victoriamag.com.