Bourbon Molasses Eggnog—prepared eggnog enhanced with cream, liquor, and thick syrup—rises to the occasion in crystal stemware with a torched meringue topping.
- 4 cups refrigerated eggnog
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup bourbon
- ¼ cup unsulphured molasses
- Meringue (recipe follows)
- Garnish: unsulphured molasses
- In a large bowl, stir together eggnog, cream, bourbon, and molasses. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- To serve, pour eggnog mixture into 4 to 6 serving glasses. Top with desired amount of Meringue. Brown meringue with a culinary torch, and drizzle with molasses, if desired. Serve immediately.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- In the top of a double boiler, whisk together egg whites and sugar. Cook, whisking constantly, over simmering water until a candy thermometer registers 140°. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat at high speed until thick, white, and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Use immediately.
For more festive recipes and inspiring tablescapes, see “A Hearthside Repast” on page 113 in the November/December 2017 issue of Victoria magazine.