Savor these delicious Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes drizzled with Cardamom-Vanilla Syrup.
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes with Cardamom-Vanilla Syrup
Makes 12 to 14 (6-inch) pancakes
- 2½ cups self-rising flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- Cardamom-Vanilla Syrup (recipe follows)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla extract. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, and stir until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Lightly spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Pour approximately ⅓ cup batter into pan. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until batter bubbles on surface. Carefully turn pancake over, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from skillet, and set aside. Repeat with remaining batter, wiping skillet clean as needed, and spraying with cooking spray as necessary. Serve with Cardamom-Vanilla Syrup.
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 6 cardamom pods
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- In a small saucepan, combine water, brown sugar, honey, cardamom pods, and vanilla bean. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for approximately 20 minutes; cool slightly and strain. Use immediately, or store, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
For more recipes featuring blueberries, see “Blueberry Bliss” on page 31 of the May/June 2013 issue of Victoria.