This Blackberry and Lavender Fool is a delicious blend of blackberry and vanilla flavor.
Blackberry and Lavender Fool
Makes 6 servings
- 4 cups fresh blackberries, divided
- 1½ cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons blackberry liqueur
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped, seeds reserved
- Garnish: fresh lavender
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine 2 cups blackberries and ½ cup sugar. Process blackberries until smooth. Strain mixture, pressing solids to release liquid; discard solids. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to assemble.
- In a small saucepan, combine remaining cup of sugar, water, and dried lavender. Cook over high heat, bringing mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain mixture, pressing solids to release liquid; discard solids. Cool mixture.
- In a medium bowl, and using a mixer at high speed, beat cream, liqueur, and reserved vanilla-bean seeds until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, layer blackberry mixture, lavender syrup, and whipped cream into dessert cups. Sprinkle with remaining blackberries, and garnish with fresh lavender, if desired. Serve immediately.
For more recipes featuring berries, see “Elegant English Berry Puddings” on page 36 of the July/August 2011 issue of Victoria.