Sautéing the fish before bringing the entrée to a succulent finish in the oven is a secret of the success of our Baked Whole Trout, stuffed with a mixture of lemons, garlic, shallots, and rosemary.
Baked Whole Trout
Write a review
- 3 lemons, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, divided
- 3 shallots, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 (10- to 12-ounce) whole trout, dressed, with heads on
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup vermouth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup capers
- 1/3 cup caperberries
- Garnish: capers, caperberries and fresh rosemary
- Using a knife, thinly slice 1 lemon, 1 clove garlic, and 1 shallot.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add lemon slices, garlic slices, and shallot slices, and cook until slightly charred. Remove from pan. Add rosemary, and slightly char; remove, and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Using a knife, halve remaining 2 lemons, and quarter remaining 2 shallots.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add butter, and melt in olive oil. Add remaining 3 cloves garlic, lemon halves, and shallot quarters. Cook until lightly browned and tender; remove from pan, and set aside.
- Season both sides of each fish with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place fish in pan, and cook over medium-high heat for about 2 to 3 minutes, turning to brown both sides. Add more olive oil if necessary, to prevent fish from sticking to pan. Remove fish from pan, and let cool slightly.
- To same pan, add vermouth and vinegar. Cook over medium-high heat, scraping browned pits from bottom of pan. Reduce liquid slightly, and remove pan from heat.
- Split each fish on one side, and butterfly; place skin side down. Season both sides of each fish with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper. Divide lemon slices, shallot slices and garlic slices; and place half atop one side of each fish; top with 2 charred rosemary sprigs. Drizzle vinegar mixture into each fish. Fold over to close. Place fish on prepared baking sheet. Add remaining garlic cloves, lemon halves, and shallot quarters to baking sheet. Add capers and caper berries. Drizzle fish with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until fish are cooked through. Garnish with capers, caperberries, and rosemary, if desired.
This recipe can be found in the September 2015 issue of Victoria.