Baked Apple Chips
Write a review
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup plus 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 medium red apple
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple
- 1 medium yellow apple
- Preheat oven to 200˚. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar, water, honey, and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Bring mixture to a boil, and cook until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat, and cool mixture to room temperature.
- Fill a large bowl with cool water, and add the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Cut the apples crosswise into very thin round slices (about 1/16-inch thick) with a manual V-slicer; after slicing each apple, place slices in the water-lemon juice mixture.
- Remove apple slices from water, and dry with a clean kitchen towel. Dip apple slices, a few at a time, in the cooled syrup, and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove, letting excess syrup drip off, then place slices on the prepared baking sheets; repeat with remaining apples.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until apples are dry. Turn oven off, and leave apples in the oven for an additional hour. Carefully remove apple slices from the baking sheets, and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.