Baron Samuel de Haber rescued the neglected edifice from derelict status in 1872, overseeing an extensive renovation. The addition of red brick with stone quoins and trim gave the original exterior a Louis XIII-style façade. The surrounding parkland has also undergone several transformations in its long history. Though the gardens were originally laid out according to medieval preferences, the emphasis on the water features that so beautifully define the grounds dates to the Renaissance. In the 1920s, Berthe de Ganay created the Japanese Garden, borrowing elements from English-style plots.