Enhancing many of the delights on our menu—including Honeysuckle Mint Julep—Honeysuckle Simple Syrup steeps with handfuls of fresh blooms.
Honeysuckle Mint Julep
Makes 1 drink
- Ice cubes
- 3 to 4 mint leaves, rinsed
- 3 to 4 honeysuckle blossoms
- 1½ ounces Tennessee honey whiskey
- 1 ounce Honeysuckle Simple Syrup (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh mint sprigs, honeysuckle blossoms
- Fill a mint julep cup with ice cubes, and add mint leaves and honeysuckle. Muddle mint and honeysuckle with ice. Add whiskey and Honeysuckle Simple Syrup. Garnish with mint and honeysuckle, if desired.
Honeysuckle Simple Syrup
Makes 1½ cups
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1½ cups water
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scrapped and reserved
- 2 cups honeysuckle blossoms
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, 1½ cups water, and vanilla bean seeds over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, whisking often, until sugar is dissolved, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add honeysuckle. Let steep 15 minutes. Discard honeysuckle. Transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.